Nov 10, 2009

curried sweet potato and carrot soup

The leaves are almost gone from the trees and we're setting in for the long cold winter in Michigan.  I've been thinking about my thanksgiving menu this week since we'll have company for the very first time over this holiday, yay! I want to welcome my sister-in-law with a tasty meal. Over the last month I've been perfecting this recipe for curried sweet potato and carrot soup and I'd say it's pretty much ready for prime time. I ate two bowls last night so quickly that I forgot to take a photo. How much of a piggie am I? (I staged a new photo, but it's cold soup! Don't tell, ok?)





3 large carrots
3 large sweet potatoes
1 medium white onion
3 large celery stalks
2 tbs butter
6 cups chicken or veg soup stock (homemade is best)
6 roasted garlic cloves
4 tbs curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1 lemon
1/4 cup cream
salt to taste
fresh cilantro

Peel and chop the carrots, sweet potatoes and celery (yes, peel the celery). Steam until soft. Chop onions and sweat in 2 tbs butter in stock pot until translucent. Add steamed vegetables. Add soup stock to cover. To make roasted garlic, cover cloves with oil in an oven safe container (or in lots of foil) and cook at 250 degrees for 40 minutes while soup is simmering. Season soup with curry powder and paprika. When garlic is soft, add it to soup. Blend soup with immersion blender or food processer and season with salt. Add cream. At end add the juice of 1 lemon to increase acidity. When soup is served, add fresh cilantro and a bit of cream. If you serve the soup the next day, squeeze a lemon or lime wedge into each bowl. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment