Feb 13, 2009

chocolate love















In a bid to improve my health, over the last few weeks I have been eating as a vegan. I have cooked vegetarian for a long time because my boyfriend happens to be one and there exist reasonably tasty soy-based facsimiles for milk, cheese, and even ground beef. But one thing I do miss is chocolate.

Anyone who knows me can tell you I am an unabashed sugar junkie. Candy, ice cream, cookies--these are my friends. So, I have spent a fair amount of time in recent weeks trying to replicate vegan ice cream and cake. I had one regrettable incident with some horrible tasting pumpkin vegan ice cream that tasted like awful baby food (this ended up in the garbage). Another utter failure was the cake that never baked despite being subjected to a 400 degree oven for 2 full hours (again, inedible).

Last night, I finally had a success with a super-tasty vegan chocolate cake. I think it could even stand proudly next to non-vegan cake. Really! I decorated it with some vegan chocolate icing and strawberries and presented it to my boyfriend as an early valentines day gift. Because nothing says love like chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment